Born in Buenos Aires, brought up in Israel and currently residing in The Netherlands where he composes and arranges music for different ensembles, orchestra's and choirs. In recent years Lionel has also been writing and producing music for different films and T.V. productions worldwide, alongside having produced two albums with his band - Modest Midget - where his skills can be explored both as a composer and as a Rock artist.
His mother was a Classically educated pianist and his father was a member of 'Los Jets', an Argentinean Rock'n'Roll band. He grew up loving both hooks, alongside many other musical styles ranging from Dixieland to modern Fusion, South American, North American, Mediterranean & European folklore. As a result he can find affinity with almost any possible musical context.
As a composer he refuses to bow to any one genre or to discriminate between styles, focusing on a strife to excellence with any project he is involved with. His music challenges the boundaries amongst genres and he is happy to defy music lovers’ taste by bringingintensity and rhythm to a Classically oriented concert or by bringing Opera to a Rock concert. His music can be extremely delicate, complex or as rough as any Classic Rock band would be. In any case, the performers are often pushed to the limit of their technical abilities.
As an arranger and orchestrator he can smoothly fit into almost any style and answer the needs of the production at hand.
He has composed, arranged and produced music for among others The Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Holland Symfonia (The Dutch Opera & Ballet Orchestra), Amsterdam Sinfonietta, Nederlands Blazers Ensemble (The Dutch Wind Ensemble), Jonathan Jeremiah, Wouter Hamel & others. He orchestrated parts of Poznansky's score for Cedar’s feature film Footnote (nominated for an Oscar in 2012).
He completed his 2nd phase (MA) study of classical composition with Henk Alkema, and has studied Jazz guitar with Eef Albers as well as orchestral conducting. He followed workshops with a.o. Krzysztof Penderecki, Jurjen Hempel & Hein van de Geyn.
Discography (original albums):
- 2020 Hashever (E.P.)
- 2019 Dream Hunting (as songwriter artist)
- 2018 Instrumental Music IV
- 2017 Film Music & Beyond vol 3
- 2016 Het Meisje & de Poortwachter (NL) - the film score
- 2016 Film Music & Beyond vol 2
- 2015 Film Music & Beyond vol 1
- 2014 Crysis - with Modest Midget
- 2012 Khalom (Hebrew for: A Dream)
- 2011 Songs From The Drawer (as songwriter artist)
- 2010 The Great Prophecy of a Small Man - with Modest Midget
- 2018 Lección de Twist - Los Jets (Anthology) - Production: Audio restauration, mastering
- 2017 Rescatados - Omar Mollo - arrangement
- 2009 Footnote (the original soundtrack for the Oscar nominated feature film Footnote) - Amit Poznansky - orchestrations
- 2013 No Alcanza Una Vida - Los Hermanos Butaca - Two arrangements, performance and production work: "Meg & John" and "Viajar Es Un Lugar".
- 2012 Footnote (Amit Poznansky's score to Joseph Cedar's feature film: "Footnote") - additional orchestrations. Milan Records.
- 2009 Buri - Laura Ros (Buri) - arrangement, production & keyboards
- 2004 Point of View (re-issue) - Lord Flimnap - guitar & voice on 'Avanim'
- 2019 Duurzame Eilanden (a documentary by Eef de Graaf) - original score.
- 2018 Een Goede Moslima (a documentary by Frans Bromet) - original score.
- 2016 Het Meisje & de Poortwachter - original score.
- 2014 Fuseli - original score.
- 2013 Soms - original score.
- 2012 Adapters - original score.
- 2012 Return To Sendai - original score.
- 2011 Footnote (Heb: Hearat Shulayim); orchestrations (composer Amit Poznansky). * Oscar nominated (2011)
- 2010 Heren van Oranje (Dutch TV series); original cues.
- 2009 Witz; (Dutch TV series);opening tune.
- 2008 United by Music. An orchestral arrangement.
- 2007 Wild Op Klassiek (Mad about the Classics). Orchestral arangement of the opening tune.